Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Minimalism

For the past few months, I have been working hard on becoming minimalist. The major catalyst for occurred last summer, when I subletting with a friend. Moving from my apartment to my friend's place, I had access to two cars (Mine and my friends). This short summer opened my eyes to a lot of things. I read this amazing book on personal finance called "I Will Teach You to be Rich," which snowballed into an epic battle for my financial freedom.

During the summer of 2009, I made it a point to get rid of things that would weigh me down; I got rid of half of my clothes, as well as a multitude of accessories that I realized I was simply lugging around.

This was an emotionally tough thing to do. I identified myself with so much of my stuff; I can still remember how sad I was when i gave away my speakers (although now I never miss it). Yet through this trying period, I felt so much more free. By the end of the summer, I used only my car to move everything that I owned back to my campus apartment.

One of the best things about moving is that you always leave stuff behind. I savor the shedding of an old skin. It is like almost becoming a new person and it kind of it when you look at it. Your things help differentiate you from other people. By having a different set of things, you are creating a different "identity."

Since then I've been in a constant uphill battle: a minimalist rebel in a consumerism society. I invite you to try a different type of living: a life where one accumulates not things, but experiences. A minimalist lifestyle

No comments:

Post a Comment